20 Must Know Rules Changes for 2019
- 3 min search time, no longer 5 mins.
- No penalty for accidentally moving ball while searching. Ball must be replaced.
- Embedded ball rule in effect everywhere in general area including rough at all times.
- A club length is defined as the player’s longest club except for their putter.
- Drop ball from knee height.
- Ball on wrong green, player is not allowed to take stance on a green to make a stroke.
- Accidental hitting equipment is not a penalty, unless player is purposely trying to use as a backstop.
- Double hits are no longer a penalty.
- In a bunker, you can smooth marks if not on the line. Also – able to lean on club in sand.
- Can remove loose impediments anywhere, including a hazard/penalty areas. Ball cannot move or 1 stroke if it does.
- Unplayable lie in a bunker. 4 options:
a. 2 club lengths from the unplayable lie, 1 penalty stroke.
b. 1 club length along the line of flight remaining in bunker, 1 penalty stroke.
c. Stroke and distance w/in 1 club length of original spot.
d. Drop behind bunker along the line of flight outside the bunker, 2 penalty strokes.
- Water hazards are now called penalty areas, red and yellow. The golf course can now mark any areas as penalty, with or without water.
- Touching ground in a penalty area is allowed.
- If ball moves on the green through an act of nature (wind, slope, etc), player must replace on the original spot.
- Accidental touching of ball on green is not a penalty, player must replace on original spot.
- Repairing damage on a green can be performed at anytime and anywhere. Natural imperfections are a part of the game so no smoothing entire line.
- No positioning of a club to help line up a shot. Rule 10
- No help from a caddy to help line up a shot. Rule 10
- Hitting the flag in the hole is allowed. Rule 11
- Ball wedged on flag stick, ball is considered holed if partly below the lip.
20 rules to remember, hope this helps!!!!